Tuesday 26 August 2008

Paxman saysTV is biased against white men


Middle class white men are discriminated against in the television industry says Jeremy Paxman..




In an interview played at Edinburgh TV festival, the BBC's Newsnight presenter said it was "the worst thing you can be" in the industry. He said any such man wanting to work in TV should "give up all hope".

Broadcaster Mariella Frostrup dismissed his comments, citing a number of presenters who fitted the description - including Paxman and Jonathan Ross. If any middle class white male I come across says he wants to enter television, I say 'give up all hope' - they've no chance.

Paxman, 58, said: "Do I think it's a man's world in television? That is the most ridiculous question I have been asked all week. "The worst thing you can be in this industry is a middle class white male. "If any middle class white male I come across says he wants to enter television, I say 'give up all hope' - they've no chance."

The journalist then named five women TV executives including BBC One controller Jay Hunt, Channel 4 head of news Dorothy Byrne and Dawn Airey, who will soon become Channel Five's chief executive. "Is this evidence of some male conspiracy keeping women down?" he said.

Suddenly this self absorbed plonker has gone up in my estimation...... For now.

Pip pip

No comments: